Velcro Key

I thought I would tell one of my more entertaining tales from my early days working as a student at Concordia St Paul.  Before I get into that, I’d like to be perfectly transparent with my goals for this blog.

By the end of 2017, my goal is to have 100 unique sessions and 500 pageviews per day.  You may be wondering why I would be setting this goal. The purpose is twofold.  I want to use this blog as a place to capture my learning and failure over the years so that other techs, users and family can find answers to issues they may be facing with their technology.

Secondly, I want to prop up companies and technologies that I truly believe will have a great impact for small businesses and individuals.  This will be done through affiliate links.  Which means for each person who buys a product or service through one of the links on this blog, I will get a very small percentage of that sale.  There are two ways that people on the internet go about this, there are the swindlers who promote anything just to make a buck.  Then there are the honest people who have tried, tested and proven that the technology or service they are promoting works well.  I will do my best to represent the latter.

Stepping off the pedestal

Back to my story.  I went to college at Concordia University in St Paul, MN.  My major was Christian Ministry, but I spent 60% of my time working at the help desk and tech shop at the school.  It’s no wonder I ended up with a career in IT.

Working as a student was probably one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had.  Stopping in between classes, repairing laptops, helping other students and faculty.  I would attribute most of the joy to my boss Jason.  He knew how to be professional, but also how to enjoy his job.

One day when I was in the tech shop, where we repair broken laptops, (we were a Lenovo shop with leases for all of our 1,200 laptops) I checked in a laptop from a student who said the “E” key wasn’t working for him.  Keyboard repairs were relatively straightforward, typically they are snapped off with long nails, or rough-housing.  Whatever the cause, it wasn’t working and I needed to repair it.

The reveal

As I open the laptop, it became very evident why the key wasn’t working.  The “E” key was protruding from the rest of the keys on the keyboard.  And when I pressed it, it didn’t depress normally.  As I continue to press the key, it starts to come loose.  I pulled it off only to find a square of Velcro on the keyboard and the back of the key! (Wish I still had a picture)

I continue to process the repair, however, make note to charge the student for the damaged keyboard.  This was one of the many bizarre sights while working as a student at Concordia St Paul.  I will share more later on down the road, don’t want to use up all my stories in one post!

Thanks for reading, and we’ll catch you later!